PPL Employment Skills Classroom Training
PPL offers job and skills training programs designed to help you improve your employment opportunities. Classes may provide a monetary stipend to program graduates. You’ll begin your job search in the classroom, with insights on what employers are looking for, and tips on how to write a resume, interview, and meet workplace expectations.
Attend our Learning Center Information Sessions, held at 9 a.m. every Monday at the PPL Learning Center (1925 Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis), to get started.
Train to Work Programs include:
- Banking This 3-week course focuses on customer service that prepares you for banking positions such as a Teller, Customer Service Sales Representative, and Personal Banker. Includes in-class opportunities to learn banking terminology and to interact with managers and recruiters from various local banks. You will have opportunities for first round interviews with local banks upon successful completion.
- Healthcare Clerical In this 6-week class, you will learn computer and customer service skills, medical terminology/electronic healthcare records, and receive Basic Life Support certification. A few examples of jobs accepted by past graduates include: Patient Registration and Clinical Office Assistant. Includes 2 weeks of job shadowing with one of our employer partners.
- Office Specialist This 6-week training focuses on further developing your administrative skills and attributes to help you land a position as a Hennepin County Office Specialist. Includes 2 weeks of job shadowing at Hennepin County, providing you with hands-on experience in the Office Specialist III role.
- Office Specialist for Department of Revenue This 3-week training focuses on further developing your computer and office skills to help prepare you for a seasonal position with the State of Minnesota’s Department of Revenue. Upon graduating from the program, and applying for a position, you will be guaranteed an interview with the State of Minnesota.
- Public Sector Administration + This 6-week training focuses on further developing your administrative skills and attributes to help you land a position in a clerical role at organizations such as the State of MN, University of MN, and the City of St. Paul. Includes 2 weeks of job shadowing, providing you with hands-on experience in the administrative/clerical role.
- ReEntry2Work Have a recent criminal background? We have opportunities for you to receive customized job search assistance, and learn valuable computer and professional skills! Call the PPL Learning Center or attend an information session on a Monday at 9:00 a.m. for more information.
Career Pathways Programs include:
- Building Operations Technician Prepares you for the responsibility of repairs and upkeep of heating, cooling, plumbing, and electrical systems in residential buildings. Includes a two week, hands-on internship with one of several employer partners.
- Healthcare + Build computer and professional development skills to prepare for positions like Patient Assistant Coordinator. Get hands-on learning experience at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, organizing and managing the details to support nurses providing patient care, plus you’ll get a first interview upon graduation!
- Human Services Program offers computer and professional skills for a career helping others as a Human Services Representative with Hennepin County, Ramsey County, or Dakota County. Includes a two week day-time job shadow.
- Property Appraiser Paid hands-on training with one of four employer partners (Hennepin County, the City of Minneapolis, Ramsey County, or Dakota County) that prepares you to obtain your Certified Minnesota Assessor License. View Hennepin County’s recruitment video to learn more!
- Public Works Technician (A PPL ReEntry2Work Program)This course prepares students with recent criminal justice system involvement for in-demand positions in infrastructure maintenance. You’ll have the ability to earn a CDL Class B permit, and much more. Includes on-site learning experiences with employer partners such as MnDOT, the City of Saint Paul, Ramsey County, and Hennepin County.
- ReEntry2Work: Have a recent criminal background? We have opportunities for you to receive customized job search assistance, and learn valuable computer and professional skills! Call the PPL Learning Center or attend an information session on a Monday at 9:00 a.m. for more information.
Tell me more about PPL Classroom Training